In our efforts to preserve natural resources, the hotel has extensive water and electricity saving, as well as waste reduction programs. These are some of our practices:
- Air drying facilities to reduce the use of electric dryers
- Skylights and ample windows throughout the buildings to maximize use of natural light
- Solar panels for water heating
- Use of energy saving light-bulbs, presence-detecting lights and photovoltaic lamps
- High-tech shower heads that use 65% less water than conventional shower heads.
- Rain water harvesting
- A biodigester to treat waste water and produce biogas for water heating
- Use of environmentally friendly, biodegradable cleaning products, detergents and soaps to care for the health of our staff-members and guests and to avoid water and air pollution.
- Chemical-free lawns and gardens
- Use of locally produced, organic goods to reduce carbon footprint and to help the local
- Reusing of containers, Recycling, composting, as well as sound purchasing policies to reduce solid waste.
- Carbon offsetting of our already low emissions
You can help us…
We encourage all of our guests to join us in our efforts to transform our habits and lessen our burden on the planet.
By following some of these recommendations, you will reduce your ecological footprint while you enjoy our cloud forest paradise.
- Walk whenever possible. It’s good for your health and it’s good for the environment.
- Turn lights off whenever they are not being used.
- If you consider that your towels do not need to be washed, please place them on the hangers. This will save water, electricity, and it will avoid water pollution. Otherwise, place them on the floor and we will gladly wash them.
- Use water rationally, especially hot water. Heating water uses large amounts of energy.
- Reduce Reuse and Recycle whenever possible. Actions as simple as rejecting over-packaged goods or pamphlets that will soon be discarded can make a big difference.
- Tap water in the hotel is 100% safe to drink. It comes from a natural spring, and it is tested regularly in a laboratory. Drink water in glasses or refill your bottles.
- Dispose of your trash properly using our recycling bins. There is trash and recycling in your
room, but also organic waste bins in the lobby and parking lot.
- Do not feed animals or extract plants or shells from any of the natural areas of Costa Rica.
- Aside from it being illegal, in a place as visited as Monteverde this can cause great damage.
- Be silent while in the natural preserves in order not to frighten the wildlife.
- Place your money in the right places. By purchasing from small businesses with sound ecological practices and buying local products manufactured ethically, you will be contributing with the just distribution of wealth and the well being of the planet. Do not hesitate to ask for our advice in doing so.
Sustainability is an ongoing effort for us; all of your suggestions for improvement will be well received.